- Author: The MenuSano Team
- Published: 3/20/2020 10:47:10 AM
UPDATED - APRIL 29, 2020
Amidst a very unprecedented and challenging time with the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, the foodservice industry's top priority is health and safety. The global coronavirus pandemic is affecting all families, businesses, communities, and our way of life. During this time, we wanted to provide a list of resources with relevant information pertaining to COVID-19 to help support the American and Canadian foodservice and hospitality industry, to help guide them during these difficult times. This list of resources will be kept up-to-date to lessen the impact of this crisis.
Our hearts go out to anyone who's been impacted by the virus, either directly or indirectly. Our thoughts are especially with those who are sick, and we extend our heartfelt wishes, hoping for their full recovery. We are inspired by the selfless healthcare workers and others, providing essential services around the world who are on the front lines working tirelessly to ensure people's needs are met. We are grateful for your support, hard work, and dedication. Thank you for your service.
List of Resources for the Foodservice Industry
- Dining Bonds Initiative - This national initiative aims to get funds into the hands of restaurants now, even if they are temporarily closed.
- BDO Canada - Guidance and support provided by BDO to help businesses adapt and navigate through the challenges of COVID-19.
- Business Credit Availability Program - To help Canadian businesses obtain financing during the current period of significant uncertainty. The BCAP will support access to financing for Canadian businesses in all sectors and regions.
- Canada Emergency Business Account - This will provide interest-free loans of up to $40,000 to small businesses and not-for-profits, to help their operating costs during a period where their revenues have been temporarily reduced.
- Canada Emergency Response Benefit - This benefit will be accessible through a secure web portal starting in early April. The government will provide a taxable benefit of $2,000 a month for up to 4 months to eligible workers who were affected by COVID-19.
- Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy for Employers - A three-month measure that will allow eligible employers to reduce the amount of payroll deductions required to be remitted to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).
- Canada's COVID-19 Economic Response Plan - The Government of Canada is taking immediate, significant and decisive action to help Canadians facing hardship as a result of the COVID-19 outbreak.
- Diversey - COVID-19 disease quick reference and response guide. Diversey can help provide cleaning and hygiene protocols, supplemented with outbreak readiness programs and effective product solutions for infection prevention and control.
- Employment Insurance Regular Benefits - For individuals who have lost their job through no fault of their own and qualify for Employment Insurance benefits.
- Restaurants Canada - COVID-19 updates and resources provided by Restaurants Canada for foodservice operators.
- Amped Kitchens - Dedicated, permit-ready, private production spaces, kitchen rental spaces for food makers. Spaces are pre-inspected by health officials and accommodate the rigorous quality standards of public health agencies.
- Cherry Bombe - List of resources for businesses impacted by COVID-19, organized by city and state.
- FoodtoEat - Partners with immigrant, women, and minority owned restaurants in New York City and books catering jobs for them at corporate offices.
- Giving Kitchen - Financial assistance to foodservice workers in Georgia that are in crisis due to an unexpected illness (including COVID-19), injury, death of an immediate family member or housing disaster.
- Hospitality Industry Alliance | COVID-19 - Facebook page intended to provide a forum for open dialogue about the impact of COVID-19 on the hospitality industry.
- Hospitality Industry COVID-19 Support - An online space for hospitality professionals to come together and discuss how they are dealing with the impact of COVID-19 in their industry.
- James Beard Foundation - List of resources for the foodservice industry, along with articles and examples of how the industry (as a whole) is responding to this unprecedented event.
- Kiva - Offering zero interest bridge loans to small businesses in need.
- MAD - Instagram account dedicated to a global cooking community with a social conscience and an appetite for change. Send them a DM for great examples of restaurants that have found ways to lessen the impact of COVID-19 on their business. The account will then repost them and help spread the word as widely as they can.
- National Restaurant Association - They have set up an automatic "Contact your Senator" campaign for small restaurant owners. The aim is to get senators to support bills providing greater relief for small restaurants.
- One Fair Wage Emergency Fund - Providing cash assistance to restaurant workers, car service drivers, delivery workers, personal service workers and more who need the money they aren't getting to survive.
- Oyster Sunday COVID-19 Resrouces - They are committed to supporting independent restaurants with free consultations, to ensure they have another resource in their corner during these trying times.
- Restaurant Workers' Community Foundation COVID-19 Emergency Relief Fund - Directing funds raised via their COVID-19 Fundraising page during this crisis to be allocated to individual restaurant workers, non-profit organizations serving restaurant workers in crisis, and zero-interest loans for restaurants to get back up and running.
- SaveRestaurants - Via Independent Restaurants Coalition (IRC), looking to provide economic assistance for the independent restaurant industry.
- Science Retail - Free 24/7 remote support to help restaurants set up online ordering, update their websites, sell gift cards/e-gift cards, route HR calls, or cut their IT costs during closures.
- SeatedApp - Complimentary hotline with accounting experts and lawyers standing by to answer your questions free of charge.
- VinePair - A collection of resources and information about how COVID-19 is impacting the drinks industry - across wine, beer, and spirits, and all three of the industry tiers. The aim is to help industry leaders learn how and where to access aid.