- Author: MenuSano Team
- Published: 5/18/2018 2:34:36 PM
According to a study almost two-thirds of the adult population and one-third children are overweight in north america. Weight management is totally depending upon maintaining daily calorie intake. Physical activity, age, gender, physical conditions are the deciding factors to plan a nutritious meal. Choice and quantity of foods are two major aspects associated with calorie intake per day. Canada's food guide encourages major part of a meal should contain vegetables, fruits, whole grain products, whereas a limited amount of other nutritional ingredients like milk and alternatives, meat and alternatives, unsaturated fats and sufficient water intake also require in the nutritious meal planning. Considering all these points, in the following section seven different dinner ideas are discussed, which can fulfill the calorie requirement in a tasty way.
Animal protein is a rich source of all the essential amino acids, but red meat and processed meat items are restricted due to the risk of cardiovascular diseases. Harvard School of Public Health has been researched and reported that replacing red meat and processed meat items with poultry products can reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease.  This recipe will be a great choice for meat lovers.
- A boneless chicken - 500gm (skinned and cut into small pieces)
- Water - 6 cups
- Chopped onion- 1/2 cup
- Pepper powder - 1/4 teaspoon
- Chili powder- 1/4 teaspoon
- Dried oregano - 1/2 teaspoon
- Tomato sauce - 1 tablespoon
- Hominy - 1 and a half cans
- Iceberg lettuce (cut into pieces) - 2 cups
- Lime wedges - 6
- Pour require a quantity of water in a pan and add chicken pieces to it. Place the pan in a medium flame and cover the lid. Continue cooking till the chicken pieces get tendered properly.
- Add required amount of all the spices including chopped onion, pepper powder, chili powder, dried oregano and tomato sauce on the tendered chicken and continue cooking in a low flame for another 10 to 15 minutes.
- Rinse and dry hominy and add it to the chicken preparation and cook another 30 to 45 minutes in low flame.
- Garnish the dish with lettuce leaves and lime wedges.
Beef- Veggie Layered Dinner
According to Canada's Food Guide recommendation, an adult requires almost 7 to 8 varieties of vegetables and fruits per day. The proper meal planning divides this requirement in different proportions throughout the day during different meals intake, including breakfast, lunch, snacks, and dinner. If you missed taking sufficient amount vegetables in a daytime due to some inconvenience, then try this recipe at dinner to fulfill your vegetable requirement.
- Potato - 2 medium sized (sliced)
- Carrot - 1 1/2 cup (sliced)
- Onion - 1/2 cup (sliced)
- Green Beans - 1 1/2(cut into small pieces)
- Black pepper - 1/4 teaspoon
- Ground beef - 1 pound (brown, rinsed and drained properly)
- Tomato soup - 1 can
- Olive oil - 1 teaspoon
Grease a baking tray with olive oil and place potato and carrot, sprinkle black pepper, then place onion, beef pieces, beans and spread tomato sauce over it. Then cover the tray with a lid and insert the baking tray on an oven. Set the temperature at 3500F for 45min. Then uncover the tray and again bake for another 15 minutes.
Dr. Karen Collins from American Institute of Cancer research suggested fresh ground meat reduces the risk of cancer. In this recipe, we switch from red meat to lean fresh ground turkey to avoid cancer and cardiovascular risk.
- Lean, fresh ground turkey - 1 pound
- Onion - 1 (chopped)
- Carrot - 1 cup (cut into dice shaped)
- Zucchini - 1 cup (cut into dice shaped)
- Potato - 1 cup (cut into dice shaped)
- Salt - to taste
- Black pepper powder - 1 teaspoon
- Mexican tomato sauce - 1 can
- Cornstarch - 1 teaspoon
In a non-stick frying pan, take the lean fresh ground turkey and add all the vegetables, salt and spices. Shallow fry the content for 5 minutes in low flame. Then pour tomato sauce and enough water. Cover the lid and boil in low flame till all the ingredients are properly tendered. In a small bowl, take require amount cornstarch and make a paste with cold water. Add this paste to the gravy and boil for 5 minutes turn off the gas.
Kidney bean rice
Kidney bean and wild rice both are good sources of fibers along with essential vitamins and minerals. The high fiber content in this dish assists to maintain body weight, cholesterol, blood glucose level and also prevent constipation.
- Olive oil - 1 tablespoon
- Garlic - 2 clove
- Onion - 1 (cut into dice shaped)
- Celery stalk - 1 (cut into dice shaped)
- Kidney beans - 1 pound (soak in water for half an hour)
- Wild rice - 1 cup (soak in water for half an hour)
- Chicken stock - 2 1/2 cup
- Hot cause - 1 tablespoon
- Onion powder - 1 teaspoon
- Black pepper - 1 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
Take oil in a deep pan and heat the oil. Add garlic, onion, celery, and pepper and shallow fry them. Now add kidney beans and pour salt, black pepper powder, onion powder and hot sauce. Cook for 2 to 5 minutes. Then add chicken broth and rice. Cover the lid and cook till all the ingredients become tender. Turn off the flame. Serve hot.
Pork -veggie noodles
This recipe itself is a complete dish, as it contains all the essential food ingredients, including whole grains, vegetables, and animal protein.
- Whole grain noodles - 6 ounce
- Hoisin sauce - 2 tablespoon
- Low sodium soy sauce - 1 tablespoon
- Sesame oil - 2 teaspoon
- Ground fresh pork (thin sliced)
- Canola oil - 1 tablespoon
- Red Pepper - 3/4 cup (sliced)
- Onion - 1/2 cup (sliced)
- Fresh Peas - 3/4 cup
- Cabbage - 1 cup (sliced)
- Fresh Cilantro - 1/4 cup
Cook noodles by following package instruction. In a bowl mix hoisin sauce, soy sauce and sesame oil. In a nonstick pan add canola oil and fry the shallow fry the pork in a low flame. After frying the pork keep aside and then add all the vegetables in the frying pan and shallow fry them till they are tendered. Add a mixture of sauce and then pour noodles and fried pork and toss. Garnish the dish with cilantro and serve it hot. 
Brown rice with steamed fish
Bran and germ are intact in brown rice which increases nutrient value and the calorie content is lower than the white rice. In addition, fish is a natural source of unsaturated fats, including omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids. These two essential fatty acids have different disease preventive actions.
- Brown rice - 1 1/2 cup
- Sesame oil - 2 teaspoon
- Chopped ginger - 2 teaspoon
- Rice vinegar - 1 1/2 tablespoon
- Soy sauce - 2 teaspoon
- Castor sugar - 1/4 teaspoon
- Peanut oil - 2 teaspoon
- Whitefish fillet - 120gm
- Green onion - 2 (sliced)
- Carrot- 1 large (sliced)
- Zucchini - 2 (sliced)
- Sesame seeds - 2 teaspoons (roasted)
- Lime slice - as required
In a deep pan cook rice and drain excess water. In a bowl mix sesame oil, chopped ginger, rice vinegar, soy sauce. In a frying pan, heat peanut oil and shallow fry both the side of the fish pieces. Keep aside the fry fishes. Now add all the vegetables and fry them in a low heat. Take out rice in a dish and put all the cooked vegetables on it. Toss them properly. Then keep the fish pieces over the rice and garnish with sesame seeds and lime slices.
This recipe is not only healthy but a tasty dinner dish. Whole grain pasta has a lower calorie than regular pasta due to its indigestible fiber contents. Low calorie and high protein content of parmesan cheese make it a good milk alternative.
- Whole grain pasta - 6 ounce
- Chopped onion - 1/2 cup
- Pesto - 2 1/2 tablespoon
- Olive oil - 2 tablespoon
- Parmesan cheese - 2 tablespoon (grated)
- Black pepper powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
Cook pasta and drain excess water. In a frying pan add onion, pesto, black pepper powder, and salt. Cook for 5 to 10 minutes till all the ingredients are tendered. In a large bowl, pour pesto mixture and add pasta. Mix properly and garnished with grated parmesan cheese. Stir well and serve the dish.
Dinner timing is one of the major factors to avoid digestive discomfort. Dinner should complete approximately 2 hours before the bedtime. Nutritional experts also suggested protein beverage like a glass of skimmed milk or soy beverage intake at bedtime helps in physiological recovery and improves performance. It is always best to approach to enjoy your dinner with your family members with a relaxing mood.
As stated above, Choice and quantity of foods are two major aspects associated with calorie intake per day. Menusano makes it easy to keep track of your homemade food nutrition value and calories intake to balance your diet. Sign Up for free to see the magic of MenuSano to help you maintain the healthy lifestyle.