- Author: MenuSano Team
- Published: 4/27/2018 1:42:45 PM
Recent days, the general population are very much aware of their health and try to avert unnecessary synthetic medications intake. One of the best ways to keep ourselves healthy is maintaining the healthy eating habit. Food labeling of any food items provides the nutritional content of that food. But is healthy eating sufficient to keep ourselves healthy? It is a very common thought that nutritious foods are healthy. But sometimes we ignore or forget about the cleanliness. Food hygiene or clean eating habit is also a concern to keep ourselves healthy. In Canada almost 4 million people suffering from food poisoning every year. Not only food poisoning, currently food-borne illness become very common public health issue. It has been estimated that 1 in 6 Americans affected by food-borne illness every year. Therefore, both healthy eating and clean eating habits are equally important for utmost health. It is necessary to discuss briefly healthy eating and clean eating, before discussing the difference between them.
What is Health eating and how we can obtain healthy eating process?
To understand the healthy eating, it is necessary to understand the serving size, calorie intake, calorie obtained from fat content. The calorie requirement varies from individual to individual. However, in general, the required percent of Daily Value (DV) of particular nutrients is calculated based on 2000 calorie value. In healthy eating requirements of DV of certain nutrients are less, such as saturated fat, trans fat, cholesterol, sodium, total carbohydrate etc.; whereas dietary fibers, vitamins, protein content have a higher percent of DV. Less than 5% DV is termed as low nutritional composition and more than 20% DV considered as a high nutritional composition of a particular nutrient. Some of the following ingredients provide different health benefits and require to add in healthy eating practice:
- Dietary fibers, which are mainly obtained from different natural food sources like whole grain foods such as oatmeal, brown rice, wheat bran, cereals, fruits & vegetables, nuts & seeds, beans, and peas etc. The inclusion of dietary fibers decrease cardiovascular risk, regulate blood glucose level and prevents constipation.
- Calcium is an essential mineral for bone health and obtains from almond, rice, coconut, sea-fish (like salmon and sardines), dairy products, soymilk, fortified cereals, tofu, fruits and green vegetables (like kale, turnip greens, spinach, broccoli) etc. Deficiency of calcium causes osteoporosis.
- Vitamin D is essential for calcium absorption in our physiological system. Therefore, deficiency of vitamin D indirectly responsible for calcium deficiency. There are different natural food items, like eggs, fish, fish liver oil, fortified foods and soy beverages are a good source of vitamin D.
- Iron is another essential mineral for blood health. Iron is present in hemoglobin structure. Hemoglobin is the primary structural moiety of red blood cells and assists in oxygen transportation. Deficiency of iron causes anemia. Dark green leafy vegetables, whole grain cereals, resins, meat, poultry etc are a rich source of iron.
- Vitamin C is essential for proper absorption of iron. Citrus fruits, tomato, broccoli, kiwi fruit, sprouts are a different variety of healthy foods, which contain an abundant amount of vitamin C naturally.
Experts recommend planning your healthy diet in such a way that 100% DV obtained from the above-mentioned nutrients in most of the days. Healthy eating practice always prefers to limited use of salt, sugar, saturated fat, trans fat, and cholesterol. These food ingredients enhance the risk of cardiac disorders, diabetes, cancer by increasing the risk of hypertension, metabolic disorder, incorrect hormonal secretion, free radical formation etc.
Certain action plan for healthy eating is as follows:
- Consume colorful fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, low-fat or fat-free dairy product and intake variety of protein containing food (preferably more amount of plant-based proteins, such as beans, peas, soy product etc).
- Avoid consuming processed food items
- Try more backed, grilled and boiled foods, instead of fried food. This eating practice can reduce fat intake.
- Liquid oils like olive oil, canola oil are more healthy than solid fats like butter.
- Limited use of packed food items
- Rinse canned fish products before eating.
What is clean eating, why it is important and how we can obtain clean eating process?
Clean eating is based on food hygiene, which ensures the safety of food from production to consumption. Clean eating is not restricted to food preparation and eating habit, but it includes harvesting, processing, storage, distribution, and transportation also. Different bacterial growth including Salmonella, Escherichia coli, and Cyclospora in food items causes food poisoning. Other than these, Bacillus cereus, Clostridium botulinum, Cryptosporidium, Hepatitis A, Listeria
monocytogenes, Shigella, Staphylococcus aureus, Vibrio vulnificus etc. are common micro-organism causes different food-borne diseases with multiple symptomatic features. Untreated condition or ignorance of these infections can provide a fatal outcome. Children, elderly population, pregnant women are vulnerable towards foodborne infections. Therefore, clean eating habit is very important to avoid such infections induced by contaminated food.
Following are some general tips to obtain clean eating process at home:
- Hand cleaning and surface cleaning are most important parameters in clean eating habit. Experts always suggested soapy water require to hand wash and surface like chopping board, food counter shelves need to wash and mop for maintaining the cleanliness. Regularly wash hand towel and moping cloth in hot water. Scrub properly all the kitchen area and sink by using detergent and brush.
- Raw meat, fish, sea-foods, poultry items are susceptible to microbial growth. Therefore, separately store them from other food items. Refrigerate them in properly maintained temperature. Wash properly the plate or bowl in which raw meat, fish or poultry items stored before reusing them.
- Cover the food items properly.
- Safe internal temperature is essential during cooking and that can be measured through food thermometer. Leftover food items, egg dish, poultry items and ground meat require the highest temperature than other food ingredients.
- Perishable food items, including fruits, cooked food require freezing within 2 hours of preparation and purchase. Temperature needs to properly maintain; freezer temperature requires to set at 00 F or less. Whereas 400F or less need to maintain in the refrigerator compartment.
- Safe deforestation process is also required to follow and that can be possible by keeping the freeze food items in the refrigerator, in cold water, or in the microwave. Never defrost at room temperature.
However, the above-mentioned tips are only for the household purpose; but food industry also has some responsibility in clean eating practice before it comes to our kitchen. Food industries need to take care of food handling by following all the food safety related laws.
The difference between healthy eating and clean eating?
- Healthy eating promotes health and prevents different chronic diseases by providing different essential nutrients. These essential nutrients regulate normal physiological functioning, such as hormonal secretion, metabolic process, cellular protein synthesis, cellular energy distribution, free radicals formations, bowel movement etc and strengthen our immune system to fight against diseases. But clean eating is a process through which we can prevent entrance of harmful foreign bodies and/or particles in our body compartments.
- Healthy eating mainly prevents non-infectious diseases, whereas clean eating prevents food born infectious diseases.
- Ignorance of healthy eating practice mainly provide long-term health hazardous and the progression of these diseases are relatively slow and gradually appear the symptoms. But ignorance of clean eating practice provides quick reaction and provide sudden outbreak. This leads to fast health-hazard. In most of the cases, infections linked with unhygienic food practice is usually short term. However, the outcome of ignorance of both the eating habits can lead to serious morbidity and premature mortality.
- Healthy eating habit depends on the biological process, whereas clean eating habit depends on the mechanical process.
It is very well established that healthy eating habit is essential for good mind and body. Moreover, clean eating not only complements healthy eating habits but offers incomparable benefits for overall balanced diet, taste, and nutrition. The other way to achieve nutritiously rich diet is to use technology to plan out food calories intake even before starting to cook. MenuSano is one such web app, which helps restaurants, health-conscious individuals, and chronic deceased patients to enjoy a better quality of food and life. It not only help you to design and experiment with your food nutrition value but promotes healthy eating and low calories and sodium intake. What are you waiting for? let's get started with MenuSano 7 days free trial and discover for yourself the magic of healthy and clean eating.